a. 1,000 ohms
c. 18,750 ohms
b. 1,300 ohms
d. 26,000 ohms
15. The armature of the hand generator has a relatively low impedance. What prevents the shunting of voice
currents through the armature during conversation?
a. The open handset switch
b. A high-impedance capacitor
c. The open hand-generator switch
d. The high impedance of the ringer coils
16. The amount of energy that a capacitor can store is affected by several factors. However, one factor that
does NOT affect the capacity of a capacitor is the
c. size of the plates.
d. distance separating the plates.
17. Assume an electrical circuit containing a 60-hertz generator, a non-inductive resistance, a capacitor, a
receiver, and one winding of an induction coil. (Draw the circuit.) If the frequency of the generator is changed to
20 hertz, which component will have an increased opposition to the flow of current?
a. The resistor
c. The capacitor
b. The receiver
18. A 0.5-microfarad capacitor is usually connected in the receiver circuit of a local-battery telephone. This
capacitor increases the signaling range by offering a
a. low impedance to 20-hertz currents.
b. high impedance to 20-hertz currents.
19. Sidetone in a telephone is the speaker's own voice heard in his receiver. In the most desirable design of
telephone sets, the amplitude of sidetone should be