b. Unit turn-ins can be a real headache, and time consuming for the SAAS-4 activity, when units fail to use
regulatory guidelines. However, proper coordination and communication with supported units (including
external SOPs) can make turn-ins easier for both the user and the SAAS-4 activity.
c. The following guidelines make turning in ammunition safer and easier to control:
(1) Encourage using units to return ammunition items in their original packs.
(2) Encourage using units to open only the rounds and packages they need, since they may have to turn
in the ammunition later.
(3) Inspect turn-ins thoroughly, because turn-ins may be in mixed lots and varying quantities. There may
also be unserviceable and hazardous ammunition included with a turn-in.
(4) Salvage/residue material must get a 100-percent inspection, and must be certified by the Quality
2. Use of DA Form 581 by Supply Support Activity (SSA). Using units use separate DA Form(s) 581 to turn-in
ammunition and ammunition residue. Ammunition residue is defined as components and packaging materials
that are considered recoverable. The SAAS-4 activity's external SOP should tell customers which items are
considered serviceable and which are unserviceable.
a. The unit(s) must plan their turn-ins by coordinating with their S-4 or Division Ammunition Office (DAO)
and the SSA.
b. Turn-ins are not complete until salvageable materiel has been returned to the ammunition activity, or
accountability has been established.
3. Processing DA Form 581. The primary document used for the turn-in of ammunition is DA Form 581. This
form is used as a request for turn-in of ammunition/residue. A request for turn-in of ammunition must be
prepared by the requesting unit and submitted to the S-4 or DAO for approval. See Figure 11 for a sample
DA Form 581 as a request for turn-in of ammunition, and Figure 12, page 19 as a request for residue turn-in.
The combined quantities of live ammunition and residue turned in must balance with the quantities of
ammunition initially issued by the ASP.
a. Completion instructions by block number for DA Form 581 as a request for turn-in of ammunition.
(1) Issue. Leave blank.
(2) Turn-In. Check turn-in block.
(3) Document Number. Enter unit document number from the expendable document register. The unit
document number consists of the DODAAC, Julian date, and serial number.
(4) For local use.
(5) Pages. Enter total number of DA Forms 581 with this document number.
(6) Leave blank.
(7) Send To. Enter the name and address of the supporting ASP.